Rising from the eastern end of the Tiopullo knot, the Rumiñahui volcano constitutes an excellent viewpoint of the volcanoes in this area. Rumiñahui means stone face in the Quechua language. It is an extinct and extensively eroded volcano, it has walls that rise almost 800 meters from its base, made of layers of lava, ash with basalts and small amounts of olivine. This volcano rises a few kilometers from Cotopaxi, Sincholagua and Pasochoa in the Real or Oriental mountain range, its last eruption seems to have occurred 9 million years ago and the Pleistocene glaciers have sculpted it in its current form. Rumiñahui is an excellent viewpoint of the volcanoes in the area. Strata of andesitic and basaltic andesites with traces of olivine are known about it. It is characterized by its grandeur and its wonderful landscapes. It has three peaks: The North or Maximum, the Central and the South. We will start our adventure at 6 am driving through beautiful landscapes. We will arrive at Cotopaxi National Park at 8:30 am. Visit the Limpiopungo Lagoon at 9:00 am and then we will begin our hiking to the summit of Rumiñahui Central. The hike will take 5 hours approx. (Difficulty: Medium – Advanced). After this activity, we will have our lunch at 3 pm. Our adventure will end at 16:30 pm approx. and we will return to Quito.
Meals included: Traditional Lunch.
NOTE.– Minimum 2 people to run the tour!
DepartureQuito / Ecuador
Departure Time6 am
Return Time4 pm
IncludedActivitiesLand TransportationFees and entrances to parks and museumsMeals detailed in the itinerary
Not IncludedDomestic flightsAirport tranfer in & outInternational flight
- Private transportation
- Certified English-speaking national guide
- Entry to the Cotopaxi National Park
- Visit to the Limpiopungo Lagoon
- Hike to the summit of Rumiñahui Central
- Traditional lunch (Andean Experience)
- Gear (Cases and rope)
What is not included?
- Optional activities and food not mentioned in the program
- The order of the itinerary may change if necessary.
- At the time of the reservation, the entire payment per person is required (non-refundable)
- In case the passengers do not appear to take the tour or cannot travel for any reason, they will be considered as NO SHOW and a 100% penalty will apply.
- If the reservation is not paid in full, no service voucher is delivered.